Our Sites:  RFQwork  :: Google+ :: Our Facebook :: Our YouTube

Thread: Has anyone run Stratasys Dimension 1200ES with dual color material?

Newcomer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone run Stratasys Dimension 1200ES with dual color material?

I want to figure out how to run a second color cartridge instead of the support and use software that allows me to build in breakaway supports. I'm hoping this allows me to use the second extruder as another color nozzle and assign colors to the different surfaces. Has anyone tried it or had any success doing anything like this?

I was going to try and set it up on Cura and see if I can go that route, but need all the printer's technical info. Does anyone know where I can get this info to setup the printer profile?

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated!

Newcomer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Aren't the support cartridges only supposed to be used for support material? I think you have to switch the cartridges out for changing colour, or at least that's what this seems to suggest - Stratasys Dimension 1200es

Newcomer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by d_s View Post
    Aren't the support cartridges only supposed to be used for support material? I think you have to switch the cartridges out for changing colour, or at least that's what this seems to suggest - Stratasys Dimension 1200es
    Currently, you have to pause the printer, change the material and then continue to print to do a color change during the print cycle. What I'd like to try to do is replace the support material with a second color material and run parts using material as one color and the support as a second color - on parts that don't require support, you should be able to print multi-color parts if you could get the printer to lay down "support" in other areas, like material. The issue is the printer's software and firmware because it only assign support layers to where the software tells it to. I am looking to use another software that is capable of telling the machine to use the second "support" cartridge as a material cartridge and allpw it to switch materials during the print cycle to achieve multi-color results.

We were able to hack the printer and can now make it run any material I want - including a second material programmed in a "support" cartridge. The issue is the "support" material is only programmed to be used for support areas and not material fill areas. I'm wondering if there are any software guys out there or hackers that are able to write a configuration in Cura or one of the other open source printer programs. I figured I would post here to start the thread and see if we can get some people involved to work on this as a project.

Thanks!

Thread Information