Our Sites:  RFQwork  :: Google+ :: Our Facebook :: Our YouTube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extra Large Heat Bed

Newcomer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How else do you propose to do the heating ? I use it in equipment I make and for this app it seems to work very well.
    Perhaps a heater pad that can reach such high temperatures... ?

Newcomer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can help you
    I have two silicon heatbeds here at 600mm area.
    You will need to hookup a SolidState Relay.
    and use a good piece of electronics like a SmoothieBoard 5XC
    I work with Motedis now so we should be able to help you with extrusions and linear guides.

Newcomer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I extended the bed on my Robo3D to about 400mm. The bed is made of glass and the heater was built using copper tape used for stained glass windows. It is a thin pure copper foil that comes in rolls and is backed with adhesive. It comes in different widths. I measured out a piece several meters in length and measured the resistance and used that to calculate the total length of tape needed to get the resistance needed to provide the correct wattage with the power supply I was using with it. I then measured the area of the bed I wanted to heat and calculated the spacing needed between the foil so i would have the right total length. Then cleaned the glass so the tape would stick put a piece of masking tape across each end and marked the spacing. Then stretched the copper foil tape from side to side lining it up on the spacing marks. Once all of those were down and burnished (rubbed down tight to the glass) I used a straight edge to cut them to the proper length and peeled off the excess. Then I put one strip across both ends and burnished it down. I then soldered all the points where the copper crossed and cut out the bridges so it was now one long continuous circuit. I next formed two triple wide pads of copper tape at the circuit ends burnished and trimmed into square pads. I then took 2 PCB through hole screw terminals and bent the legs 90 degrees and soldered them to the square pads to form connection points. I then covered the whole thing with Kapton tape so no wires except the screw lugs are exposed. Wired it up making sure the screw are not long enough to hit the glass when attaching the terminals. Has been working great for about a year now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information