Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Hinge or Ball Joint Connection With Filament?

I'm contributing to the e-Nabel prosthetic hand project.
    Is it possible to somehow print a movable joint with a filament printer?
    My one solution is to add some Tee shaped bushings part way through the printing process.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...7179986?cfem=1
    From the site:
    "This is a publicly findable, privately joinable/readable community seeking to develop a distributed pay-it-forward network for design, customization, and fabrication of 3D-printed prosthetics."

Downloads
    Uploads
    What joint are you trying to mimic? Wrist, finger I have been wondering about using carbon fiber tape ( non sticky ) in place of the tendons it is found in the remote control plane shops and can be epoxyed or whatever. I have some that I picked up but have not tested it yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Tom, maybe some use for the carbon fiber there... I'm interested in whatever is possible to do.
    The bottom-to-top process of filament printing limits the possibilities, I was thinking of printing small cylinders on the parts, then the Tee insert would be dropped onto them part way thru the print - to isolate the piece that hinges, but it would need keyways or knurls to lock it in place, otherwise it would just slide off, defeating the exercise.
    I just got some bicycle cable outer cover and thought these could be embedded into a print to help solve the tendon/muscle mechanics.
    Cheers, Rob

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it would not be too hard to slip a cable liner down a passage way that was my thinking with the fiber. It is the designing part that is more dificult because the control of the device has to be made custom for some to operate, the hand we have seen uses the tilting action of the palm to operate so if there is no palm another way would have to be used. I have not reasearched into it to see the range of motion (expansion/contraction) or how much mussle is left that is useful after amputation/birth.
    Hmmm just had a brainfart I'll have to think about.
    So would these be for the general population, 3rd world? Just wondering because 3rd world would have to be a simpler build if it broke could it be repaired in the field.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuttleSpace View Post
    I'm contributing to the e-Nabel prosthetic hand project.
    Is it possible to somehow print a movable joint with a filament printer?
    My one solution is to add some Tee shaped bushings part way through the printing process.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...7179986?cfem=1
    From the site:
    "This is a publicly findable, privately joinable/readable community seeking to develop a distributed pay-it-forward network for design, customization, and fabrication of 3D-printed prosthetics."
    You have to be a Community Member to view the link, so while the moderators decide whether to bother looking to see if there are any new requests to approve why not post some photos for the benefit of non members and applicants awaiting approval that we might have a clue as to the detail of your request for us to help you in designing your contribution?

- Nick

Thread Information