Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

Melted plastic blob on extruder head of SST768

Hello all-

Our SST768 has worked well for the 6 months we've had it, but recently we started to experience what to me was an unusual problem.
    After an overnight run, there was a large blob of melted filament plastic attached to the underside of the extruder head. After opening up the head, we found that
    melted plastic had worked its way inside the head as well - see the attached photos of "incident1". Judging from the filament colored plastic dust on the built plate, the blob had been rubbing against the build plate for some period during the build.

After cleaning off all the plastic with a heat gun and acetone, we were able to print a few objects without difficulties ... but then the problem happened again - see photo "incident2".

So before trying another print, I'd like to ask if anyone has experienced a similar problem on their printers and if so, what did you determine to be the root cause.

It's been suggested in other forums for consumer 3D printers that this type of filament "caking" issue occurs when the printed object delaminates from the build platform and sticks to the extruder tip.
    What I can say is that in general our prints adhere strongly to the build plate - in fact, removing the object takes some effort, especially on small prints that are not affected by warping the plates by hand.
    We have had two instances where the print did come off the plate, but they were both tall, high aspect ratio parts - the parts fell over and filament spaghetti filled the chamber.

So spontaneous part delamination due only to poor adhesion would not be be my first guess as to what the root cause of the melted blob was.

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me there is no doubt tube or nozzle broken, but if you want to be sure you have to disassemble the liquefier (be carefull with thermocouples and firerod)and check where model material comes from, if you are looking for a replacement visit www.stampa3donline.com.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your reply, gzan59. I did check after cleaning the plastic off, but was not able to detect any cracks in the nozzle or liquefier in general - it could the case that they are hidden or too small to be easily seen.

Thread Information