Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fortus 250mc Goes Into "pausing" Randomly

Hello,
    We have a Fortus 250mc that has been sort of abandoned here and I can't stand to see it sit there unused, so I am working to document and understand the issue so I can have it serviced or maybe even get some ideas here.

The "tribal information" on the printer is no longer with the company, so I am starting with what I've heard. I have been printing parts to try to recreate the issue and it happened on my second print. The 250mc just stops and the display reads "pausing". The buttons on the front are unresponsive and it required a hard power shutdown to get the machine to recover. This was about 6 hours into an 8 hour print. There were no error codes that I could see, print quality was good up until it stopped seemingly randomly.

This thing has sat idle for a year and was apparently serviced by a Stratasys service company about a year ago. The problem persisted and I think people here gave up on it. Nobody really took ownership of the printer and now here we are. So, I am going to keep printing things to try to see if there are any commonalities between the area it happens in (X,Y,Z), the time into the print it happens, etc. to try to aid a service guy if it comes to that. The only data that I have on the two prints that I have done is that the first one completed (had some unrelated problem with support material, but finished the print). The second and final print that I did showed the "pausing" error and stopped about 3/4 into the print. The second print I has set to "auto shutdown" the first print i did not. I am going to keep printing and try to see if I can establish any kind of trend/repeatability in the error.

Any help or ideas that you Stratasys guys can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Mike

20190905_120532836_iOS.jpg
    20190905_120654555_iOS.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also, below is some info on the software versions I am using and the printer information.

Capture.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    Capture3.JPG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update:
    Had very similar failure again, but in a different X,Y,Z location. Machine went into a pausing state with no option to recover other than cycling power switch on the rear of the machine.
    Fail2a.jpg
    Fail2b.jpg

After this failure I was running out of ideas so I started to question the incoming power cleanliness to the modeler. I borrowed a 3000VA UPS from the IT department here to try to eliminate that theory. Again, with UPS in line with the incoming power I had another failure in a different X,Y,Z position. Pause mode again, no way to recover outside of hard power cycling.

Fail3a.jpg
    Fail3b.jpg

After these two failures I downloaded the CFG file from the machine to look for clues. In that file i found the following lines, which seem a bit concerning.

Sep 5 14:53:25 localhost kernel: * The chipset may have PM-Timer Bug. Due to workarounds for a bug,
    Sep 5 14:53:25 localhost kernel: * this clock source is slow. If you are sure your timer does not have
    Sep 5 14:53:25 localhost kernel: * this bug, please use "acpi_pm_good" to disable the workaround

I'm not sure what this means, but I did find this snippet in a service manual for a Dimension 768 modeler. I know it is a different modeler, but the symptom fits this description and its the only service manual i can find online that is anywhere close to a 250mc.

Capture5.jpg

I'm not sure if any of these things are related, but the seemingly randomness of the pause makes the read/write errors to the EEprom seam plausible.
    This machine has saw some power outages and dirty power in its day and at the time wasn't running through a UPS or line conditioner (i don't think).

If any of this rings any bells with anyone, I'd be happy to take some suggestions. Is this starting to sound like a main controller board failure?

Thanks,
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update: Updated the modeler's software from version 10.1 to version 10.4 Build 3978 and had a 9 hour print finish successfully without the pausing error. Started another print (20 hours) a bit ago to see if the new firmware remedied the issue.

Thread Information