Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dimension sst768 to Dimension Elite 768 conversion

Hello all!

I was wondering what the difference is, in practice, in the non-elite dimensions and the dimension elite 768? As far as I can tell it's all software.

Would you be able to image the drive of an SST with a drive from an elite, and get the lower layer height that comes along with the elite?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The dimensions can print at any layer height if you send them the right data. I did it with mine by writing some C programmes to modify the CMB file.

I also tried converting to an Elite but gave up, can't remember why now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Mjolinor - Awesome! I'd love to hear more about the process. I am a hardware guy, definitely not a software guy, but I have a few consumer machines right now that print beautifully at .1mm, but don't have quite the accuracy that my SST768 will, so I'd like to have the best of both worlds, if possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    https://azttm.wordpress.com/2012/09/...b-file-format/

It is also possible to do two colour prints by manually editing the CMB file.

You don't need to do anything at the machine software to make it print with lower layer height. That is controlled by Catalyst so you just edit the printer definition files and the new layer heights will appear in Catalyst.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Mjolinor

I attempted to hex edit the CMB files directly, but they wouldn't open with the CMB viewer, which led me to believe they were invalid. I believe this is due to a checksum. I don't yet have the printer in my possession (I will in about a week), so I didn't get to actually try to feed it the edited CMB file.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The checksum is wrong when you have manually edited them. The way to overcome that is to open it in Catalyst as a second item then delete the first item. That is from memory, it has been a while.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Mjolinor

With editing the definition files, I looked into them in catalyst, and found only one file that mentioned layer height, but it was something like layer height = <double> or something like that. So I'm not sure how Catalyst actually dictates the layer height for the build. Could you shed some more light on the specifics of doing it that way?

As for editing the CMB file, you are saying to slice an STL w/ an elite, to a CMB, then swap the machine identifier portion of the file in hex, then re import it back into Catalyst?

Thanks for all the help!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The definition files are encrypted. You need to decrypt them before you have access to the text in there. There is no need to re-encrypt the files once edited, Catalyst works fine with the decrypted files. It is really just Stratasys being a company that prefer to keep it basic rather than offer enhanced ability with reduced reliability.

The info is out there, the files are out there, it is how I learned to do it.

That should work with the CMB but you will have a checksum error so you have to open something that is not modded then add your modded file, save it then delete the first thing you opened, that repairs the checksum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi guys. I've been to the https://azttm.wordpress.com/2012/09/...b-file-format/ site, and I understand what's discussed in general, but it seems like there's a software tool that I'm missing or something. Are people manually editing CMBs in a hex editor or has someone written a script to automate the process somewhere and I'm just not figuring out where it is?

Thread Information