Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

SLA via combined lasers

Hi,

Perhaps this is a stupid question that only demonstrates my ignorance, but I was wondering if it would be possible to create a SLA printer that worked by combining two or more lasers on a fixed point within a 3d space, and, if not, what would be the barriers?

For example, if you have a glass cube enclosure filled with UV sensitive resin. Outside of the cube you might have three lasers, one up top, one on the right, and one on the back, and each laser had two axis. So the top laser would have X/Y, the right laser Z/Y, and the back Z/X.

When printing, these three lasers would align their laser and shine into the resin, making their three beams intersect at a given X,Y,Z coordinate.

I know next to nothing about lasers, UV, and optics... so please be gentle.. : Could the individual lasers be too weak to affect the resin on their own, but powerful enough when combined to activate/cure the resin?

If that is possible, and given that the controller is intelligent enough to cure individual points in a precise order to avoid resin that has already cured, then wouldn't this apparatus be capable of true 3d printing without needed layers and supports?

I could not find anywhere to ask this question, so hopefully I'll get a response here

Thanks,
    Luke

Thread Information