Close
Login to Your Account
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pegasus Touch Laser SLA Printer Project Thread

Discuss the new Pegasus Touch Laser SLA project here.

On Kickstarter and fully funded.

Touchscreen LCD desktop 3D printer starting <$2k using LASER based tech for high speed prints, 7"x7"x9" build area, and detail.

Pegasus Touch Laser SLA 3D Printer: Low cost, High Quality by Full Spectrum Laser — Kickstarter

Downloads
    Uploads
    Backer! Just posted about it, the last update about the laser focusing improves quality a lot.

Pablo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been meddling with stuff related to this for a while. The deal killer is still in the need for the photo-activated resins. Not seen any real or significant improvement with regards to the actual cost of the material sourcing or production even at commercial or bulk levels and still a messy setup to work with. I like the results. Just not so crazy about the cost and the headaches to get results. I expect this unit to suffer from the same issues every other launch or start-up etc. has thus far. Resin too cost prohibitive for production and frequent or volume use. Problems with optical collimation and stability. Failure and residue buildup on the build area and the resin vat. The technology still holds promise but there's still a whole crapload of bugs and kinks that are no where near as solved as they need to be for the average turnkey user to really be satisfied. Anyone still remember the Jr. Veleso fiasco for example??? That system really went South literally more due to the intentions to never really deliver a final product once the "developer" and I put that in loose quotes about the guy even really being a reputable developer. I hope this does make it to the project backers by or well before the delivery deadline if possible but I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it.Also it still reminds me too much of another very similar device that was supposed to be out last year or this winter from another group that is at last I heard back-pedaling on delivery till late summer or even later this year. Maybe these guys will beat them out of the gate perhaps. There is or actually are a couple of other ventures as well I can't remember specifics for and which I do not think to have been using a crowd-funding or KickStarter model. I did find the name of the one that I was first mentioning. >>> The other unit is FormLabs and the Form 1. Have they actually delivered a working unit to any of the backers yet?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Formlabs delivered, fsl3d toured many expo/shows with finished printers, i'm confident they will deliver too

Pablo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to hear that at least one KickStarter of this flavor of printer has gotten into the backers hands. I am working from the reverse of dealing with the resin and photo-activators first which I luckily have some very knowledgeable assistance available when needed locally. I bought a batch of some low cost scanner galvanometers which seem to be up to the task as they are adequate enough for doing a ILDA spec laser projection scan test pattern at or above the 12K specification and appear to be able to perhaps meet the 18K spec with some tuning. I am still meddling with the scanner drive servo system somewhat but it is no where near the headaches the chemistry poses. I am using Aruduino based HDWR and planning to move to the Due ARM device in the next iteration. So far I haven't tried to actually print any items. Just testing scanning and rasters and vectors control plus exposures times and other stuff to do with the laser devices. The resins though still are going to be the stumbling block as they have been for this type of printer all along. I haven't gotten any recent pricing information regarding the FormLabs resins or for the Pegasus Touch either but I doubt they can even come close even in literally gallons and gallons volume to what I currently have access to getting resin formulations mixed up in terms of cost and properties. Pablo have you been given any information from Pegasus group about the cost of resin once you use up what ever the intitial amount received with your unit is if you had pledged in the backer ranges that included a quantity of printing resin materials???

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, along the machine I purchased 4 liters (a bit more than a gallon), the price for 4 liters is $400, or $125 in single liters. Not bad for manufacturer approved resin. What I really want is a resin suitable for lost wax casting, they said they are working on it.

Pablo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, has anybody used this printer? I've had one on order for a couple of months, and am expecting it to show up shortly. I was wondering what others' experience has been with this printer?

-Crawford

Downloads
    Uploads
    Getting a new printer up and running is always a tricky proposition. I've gotten some preliminary prints out of the Pegasus Touch now, and have put together a post on my adventures so far:
    http://www.tesseract-design.com/pegasus-touch-3d-printer.html

-Crawford

Downloads
    Uploads
    That seems to have moved to here: http://www.tesseract-design.com/blog

Thread Information