Close
Login to Your Account

Thread: inkshield?

Downloads
    Uploads

inkshield?

I got a inkshield board. Have not used it yet, although seems like a interesting device to use for making a 3d printer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is an InkShield?

This shield allows you to connect a HP C6602 inkjet cartridge to your Arduino turning it into a 96dpi print platform. It only uses 5 pins which can be jumper selected to avoid other shields. It is designed with a Arduino Mega footprint but fully supports both the Arduino and the Arduino Mega. It is designed with all through-hole components to make assembly easy even for beginners.
    Features

• Compatible with Arduino and Arduino Mega
    • Uses only 5 user selectable pins
    • Stackable (up to 11 Inkshields on Ardunio, 15 on Mega)
    • On-board 18.5V boost converter for Inkjet head
    • Accepts 9-12V input via optional power connector or from the Vin of the Arduino
    • Auxiliary input header offers support for other microcontrollers
    • Auxiliary output header supports an extension cable to the inkjet head
    • Power and Pulse activity LEDs
    • ISCP header and Reset button
    • All through-hole components

Current Status of the InkShield

I made an initial prototype followed by a second prototype to correct a few minor errors and make several improvements. I am currently working on a few minor adjustments and the details of the Arduino library to support this shield. This goal of this project is to gather funds for the initial production run of at least 100 copies of this shield.
    Release Information

All source code (both hardware and software) will be fully Open Source and released when the initial production run is completed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by largeformat3dprinter View Post
    I got a inkshield board. Have not used it yet, although seems like a interesting device to use for making a 3d printer.
    Based on the details provided by Admin (thanks!) I'm not seeing how this would work with 3d print technology since it speaks specifically to HP cartridges.
    Can you share how you plan to use the device with a 3d Print setup? (I'm hoping since you actually have one, you can see things I can't )

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lots of ways to use a inkjetting delivery mechanism for 3D printing. They have been doing that for powder and binder FDM , ceramics and other methods for over 20 years or so on some variations I think. Also not so sure about this "InkShield" guy and project but another person had release a fully open source and full disclosure design on ThingiVerse for a commercially readily available inkjet cartridge delivery mechanism and cheap and reloadable with a little effort inkjet cartridge units. I'll find the info and post back soon. There have been several iterations on this stuff as Parallax - BasicStamp and Propellor chip etc guys released a developer kit with a similar 96 dpi head and some basic electronics about 6-7 or so years ago also. Was sort of a fad thing at the time. Inkjet delivery of either activator or binders is the most use but there are other ways to use jetting and suitable processing to produce good and very rapid build volume result that still have very very fine detail potential and decent strength with right choice of materials.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like the Ink Shield will be handy for turnkey work for people who only need the 96dpi jetting resolution and handy for someone who already has been dabbling with the Arduino platform AVR devices. I am not sure it has enough IO bus and complexity though for some possible applications and particular for some of the other options of possible inkjet printer head assemblies and cartridges that there may actually be enough public domain information for to successfully interface and control. I am thinking that the other implementation of inkjet device and interface used a significantly higher dpi yield print head and controller although still only a monotone or black only printing device originally. I'll try to dig up the Thingiverse info and the other stuff about by the next time I hop on this forum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Appears that InkShield is one and the same as the Thingiverse articles I had seen previously> not sure if live links are allowed but here is Thingiverse entry number > [ thing:11907 ]. Should be no major effort to go to Thingiverse and search for that entry number for the curious etc... I still believe I found another unit documented elsewhere perhaps that was somewhat higher dpi resolution that used a readily orderable and fairly inexpensive printer head and cable module and modest priced black ink cartridges that could be pretty simply reloaded or refilled with various delivery or binders etc....
    Last edited by PDiddler; 02-09-2014 at 04:18 AM. Reason: addendum of sorts

Downloads
    Uploads
    >nicholasclewis.com/projects/inkshield/< I "unlived" the URL or at least tried to. This is the original developer's webpages which has links to get to the source packages and the Thingiverse thing entry page as well. Now I need to see if I can find that other information I was referring to if I am correct about it as well.

Thread Information