Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking How to control large bundles of optical fibers

Hello I am working on a project where I am going to be transmitting powerful UV light from a lamp down bundles of individually controlled optical fibers to form an image. My question is what are cost effective solutions to create an array that can control wether or not so many fibers transmit light? Any existing products or theoretical ideas are welcome. This is my first post to the forum!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you looking for a way to mechanically block the light from the fibers, or bundle of fibers?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why would you try to use a large matrix of individual fibers? Unless you have millions of dollars to pour onto this project and some very hardcore embedded hardware and microcontroller skills your scheme is not likely to ever get off the ground. Where or how have you acquired a sufficiently large enough number of UV passband fiber conduits or lightpipes from either for a reasonable price point to make building this sort of device even seem sensible from a cost perspective? I've got a small project I am working that uses blue-violet and UV emissions piped to specific pinpoint spots to activated some custom tailored photo-initiator activated resins and I have yet to find a reasonable pricing on fiber guides or piping that is suited for higher energy blue-violet and UV spectrum emissions piping at anything I would consider a reasonable price point for doing a modest array of say 4x4 or 4x6 pixels much less a decent high resolution image approaching even VGA resolutions much less a "HD" quality like 720p or 1080p for getting enough pixels in a single image frame. That being said and gotten out of the way- If you used a grid or matrix array of fibers or light pipes though you could try using some sort of active shutter or masking where you selectively uncap or unblock specific fibers in a raster or scan pattern. Have you considered just getting a DLP light engine or DLP active mirror module as it would give much higher resolutions for a given price point and you could just buy multiple pieces or units of these light engines to replace a unit as it is toasted and scarred from the UV bombardment over time. You could use a light engine to steer a bunch of beam elements into an array of fibers to produce the level of control you wanted for your "massive bundle" of fibers but it probably wouldn't be worth the expense and also would suffer from a serious insertion loss of having to be piped into the fibers due to the reduced actual amount of light energy that each micro-mirror element of the DLP device is going to specifically steer into a given fiber. Essential it sounds to me like you want to try to reproduce the same effect that a $600-$800 DLP projector would give you at a likely cost of $800,000-$1,5 million dollars in esoteric components. If you do have several thousand UV capable transmission fibers on hand then how about a UV LED matrix panel to pump light into them You could get a large volume of UV emitter LEDs hooked up in a matrix or grid array drive bus and directly feed a image into the digital image frame mapping which gets converted to a bit map or bit mask and that image data gets fed to the matrix/grid array LED controller logic. Writing this reply just gave me a wonderful idea about how to solve my own hardware issues for my project BTW.......

Downloads
    Uploads
    I looked on Ebay just a minute or so after making my previous post and found dozens of listings for UV SMD package mount LED devices. Depending on whether the energy density or flux requirement you need per square millimeter of area to be activated is not some ridiculously high quanta and that a modest UV spot activation will work- these devices might or might not be capable of doing the desired job. If you choose a small effective light emission angle pattern device - one that has a narrow cone of light emission active area - you can get more effective bang for the buck versus say a common halogen UV rojector lamp source as more of the light emission per active device gets fired in a specific vector or ray producing a higher effective emission density on a given square area surface even with a significantly smaller effective output power LED device versus a multi-wattt projector lamp device plus energy consumption is much lower as the LED device doesn't even generated a fractional amount of the infrared emissions a incandescent or projector device will.
    Last edited by PDiddler; 09-20-2014 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typo

Thread Information