Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

making your own plastic tubing

So alot of these 3d printers use plastic reels of tubing, but how exactly are these made? I've been thinking with all the plastic I throw away everyday in the recyclables from supermarket shopping it would be great if someone could find a way to recycle this stuff and be able to use it to 3d print needed parts. Is this feasable? Can 3d printers work with plastic tubing that is made up of an amalgam of different types of plastics? I've been thinking if you used some sort of grinding machine to grind up all your recyclable plastics and could then use these ground up bits instead of a plastic tubing that would be great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First off the print material is solid not tube. Each material has a different melting point so mixing them up is probably not a good idea. However, making your own filament using the left overs or scrap of the same type of material is being done by quite a few people. Look up Fillabot on Google.

Downloads
    Uploads
    even if they were all different temperatures wouldn't all you have to do is heat it up to the material in the mix with the highest temperature? or would having too high a temperature for a low temperature filament be a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't say whether that would be a problem or not. I do know that for Nylon it will give off toxic fumes if it gets too hot. I'm guessing it would be similar for other materials. If you were to sort the scraps by melting temperature grouping similar melting temperatures together it might work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can make your own filament, I use the Filastruder and it works great. I buy the bulk pellets of ABS,PLA and Nylon which is a fraction of the cost of buying a reel of filament and extrude it myself. I also take my prints that did not quite come out or the support material that is printed and grind that up and send it through the filastruder to reuse it. You can see the Filastruder here:

Filastruder | Make Cheap 3D Filament with the Premier At-Home Filament Extruder/Maker

Downloads
    Uploads
    The filastruder is a great DIY filament maker. If setup right you can get higher tolerances than ones purchased.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The filastruder looks really interesting. Have you ever tried using scrap pieces of plastic as opposed to the pre-made pellets?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clorange View Post
    The filastruder looks really interesting. Have you ever tried using scrap pieces of plastic as opposed to the pre-made pellets?
    Yes I do use the scrap pieces from supports or prints that did not come out. I grind them up in a homemade grinder that I salvaged which was a hand crank ice crusher and I have not had any issues extruding filament from it.

Thread Information