Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the best diy 3d

Hey so i'm looking to build my first 3d printer and was looking for opinions on what would be the best. I don't have any advanced tools nor do i have a 3d printer to print parts so id also need to be able to buy the parts for this on ebay or something. I do have some experience with three d printing so Im not too concerned if its a harder build. The Mendel Prusa i3 seems to be the most common diy out there but Ive heard some bad reviews on it. does anybody know of a 3d printing "pay it forward" forum where someone with a 3d printer could print me parts and send them to me and then I would eventually print someones else up parts when my 3d printer is up and running? Budget is also a factor, I don't want to spend more than $500. Any suggestions will help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some variables:
    What will you be printing?
    How much to ship the printer parts to you?
    How good at making parts/machines are you?
    What local resources are available?

Rather than using couriers, the international postal systems have size and weight guidelines for things that must be mailed, so if you can stay within these lower weights, dimensions, you can save quite a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuttleSpace View Post
    Some variables:
    What will you be printing?
    How much to ship the printer parts to you?
    How good at making parts/machines are you?
    What local resources are available?

Rather than using couriers, the international postal systems have size and weight guidelines for things that must be mailed, so if you can stay within these lower weights, dimensions, you can save quite a bit.
    I will be printing misc stuff. A lot of my purpose for building this is just to get my feet wet and so i can print other simple machines like a filament extruder. I do want something capable of larger prints. I am pretty good at making machines but I am still just a beginner still in 3d printing. As of resources I am five minutes away from raio shack and home depot. Plus i will probably be doing a lot of online orders. As of the shipping I'm not quite sure what the costs will be, I thought it was a good idea and figured that I was not the first to think of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you already have a 3d printer, then look for one with a bunch of printed parts to save money. If you do not already have a printer, then look for one with the fewest printed parts or make a friend that will them for you for the cost of a spool of filament .

Tapa-shutup

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am designing/building my own 3d printer at the moment. A friend of mine loaned me his printer so I can print out parts for my machine. If you find a printer that you would like to build let me know. I would be happy to print out parts for you. I use mainly PLA but I can do ABS. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started with a kit from ebay and then moved on to making my own. I believe this to be the better way because it gives you insight before you start building your own. For example, I decided that I wanted a larger print envelope and the ability to mix and print different types / colors of filament. If I started building my own printer first, I probably would have built a single extruder 200x200 printer.

Thread Information