Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool I have built an cnc router, but i want to build an 3d printer as well :)

Do someone know a kit on ebay or something that i can buy so i just need to think about the mechanic?
    I don`t know so much about the 3d printers, so maby an youtube video of how its work would be fine?

Greetings from a new member, Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Robert, welcome , I hope to do the same thing soon with my 48 X 96 X 6(Zaxis) ShopBot, still have some homework to do...
    Looks like OscarH has done something already:
    http://www.3dprintforums.com/diy-3d-...highlight=head
    Prusa Nozzle

Consider what you will be making before getting anything. There's a lot of new stuff coming these days and it's getting cheaper.
    Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, thanks for the links.

Is there some kit that i can buy, with all the electronics that i can buy? so can i fiks the mechanics my self?
    Im an mechanical engineer and have a lot of machines on my work Waterjet, 5 axis mills and lathes.

Greetings from Robert.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure what you're making or what controllers you already have yet. There's a lot of info out there...

J-Head Nozzles

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hot+h...h=414#imgdii=_

Downloads
    Uploads
    I built my first 3D printer attachment for my existing CNC table using the plans here. 2BEIGH3 3D Printer Update and call for Testers I learned enough about things with that design to be able to make a better all metal printer attachment, one of my own design.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Gadget, do you think it would be possible to have the filament feed activated by a micoswitch rather than the controller. Z axis moves down to position and the feed starts?
    I'm also thinking of using a can of polyurethane foam...could just have a mechanical operator on my Z axis for this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Making a conversion is not so hard if you hook up existing drivers to a RAMPS style controller and add a extruder and a hot end. But if you want to keep the machines existing function you will have to integrate the extruder you are adding with the controller you already have. Depending on the software and hardware you have this can get complicated. I have a thread where i make this kind of conversion in the DIY Conversions section but it will take a while before that build is done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The conversion can and has been done, but the question really is...should it be done?

Well on the surafce both machine appear to have very many similarities, this quickly will show to be a less than ideal way of getting into the 3D printer game.

If you have built a CNC machine you have tackled the more difficult project of the two and easily the more expensive project.

Cnc machines require extreme strength and require also to be very rigid with less emphasis on speed of the work head than with a 3D printer.

A 3D printer must also be very rigid for true success and accuracy, but need not have even close to the strength to resist torque and forces exerted by the working head, arguably there are little to no forces fed back into the structure. This allows for low weight weaker components to be used. Such as rollers and extruded aluminium guides rather than the far more expensive and also heavier linear rails and components. The net of this is that low weight and lack of feedback force allows very high speed movement and print speeds that are not only nice, but needed for some printing operations such as bridging and proper tempurature to be maintained or cooled during print (material dependant)

You will find that if you have ventured down the CNC path and now wish to go the 3D print route that you have fewer hardware hurdles to jump, but perhaps more software and system settings to tackle. The 3D printer direction is generally far cheaper (DIY filament extrusion types) for setup and build.

My personal experience anyways, your milage may vary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    using your cnc machine you should be able to make a neat 3d printer

i just wish i had the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information