Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quality difference between Delta printers and 3 axis?

The giveaway thread started getting me more interested in some of the machines that guys were recommending. I checked out a couple of the Delta type machines and the prints don't seem to be much better and perhaps worse than some of the last ones I printed on my Mendel Prusa before I sold it.
    I had decided to wait until the technology progressed some more and then I was hoping for more free time to play with it while taking up less office space.

Does anyone know if there is really much difference in the results today with the Delta's and the standard 3 axis machines? Pictures and links are welcome I think.
    Lee

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a delta printing and so far not real happy with the performance, I have come to the conclusion that the printhead is EVERYTHING, and one that is properly cooled and feed precisely seams to make the best prints.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do think the printhead needs to work well and be correctly calibrated to the material. I think another reason may be that it is actually moving three axes all the time where the traditional type only moves two while printing. I am sure they can get better. They are certainly kinda cool to watch, but I felt that way about the Prusa too.
    Lee

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the quality of the Makerbots look pretty good and are probably a step or two better than what I was able to get with the Prusa. They claim 100 micron resolution and from the looks of some of the prints, they are correct. Nice and smooth. Some of my prints looked close to that, but only when a specific filament was dialed in.

I noticed that the quality of filament varied both with color and supplier. Some was a little thicker or thinner than others.
    All these properties makes it tricky to jump right into any machine and start printing quality items with little to no calibration.

Now mine used both ABS and PLA. I noticed Makerbot likes design the machines with the filament type in mind. That does help insure the ease of use, but limits it's versatility.
    Lee

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeway View Post
    The giveaway thread started getting me more interested in some of the machines that guys were recommending. I checked out a couple of the Delta type machines and the prints don't seem to be much better and perhaps worse than some of the last ones I printed on my Mendel Prusa before I sold it.
    I had decided to wait until the technology progressed some more and then I was hoping for more free time to play with it while taking up less office space.

Does anyone know if there is really much difference in the results today with the Delta's and the standard 3 axis machines? Pictures and links are welcome I think.
    I believe what you're asking is the difference between delta configuration and a "standard" cartesian machine. Both move around in a 3 axis space, but deltas do it better

Regardless of what machine you end up with, you will have to calibrate. And regardless of what type of machine you get, you will have to calibrate. If you build it yourself (either style), you will have to make damn sure you build it solidly with very little slop. The only way to avoid this, is to spend a lot of money on a commercial printer with support contract. Well outside the scope of a hobby budget for sure.

The main difference between types, is that as a general rule deltas are faster. Both types if given equal build quality and tolerances can print equally accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPFadmin View Post
    I have a delta printing and so far not real happy with the performance, I have come to the conclusion that the printhead is EVERYTHING, and one that is properly cooled and feed precisely seams to make the best prints.
    I'd say that calibration is everything. You can have the best machine on the planet, but if it's not calibrated properly, it will print on par with the worst machine on the planet. What delta do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Leeway View Post
    I do think the printhead needs to work well and be correctly calibrated to the material. I think another reason may be that it is actually moving three axes all the time where the traditional type only moves two while printing. I am sure they can get better. They are certainly kinda cool to watch, but I felt that way about the Prusa too.
    For the most part deltas and cartesians are equal in all arenas except speed, where the delta shines. One reason for this is that most deltas are fed by a bowden style tube with the extruder mounted off of the effector. This reduces weight on the moving parts, which enables faster speeds with less slop.
    Deltas are sexy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    nihil couldnt of said it any better. You should not see any quality difference from a cartesian, delta or morgan. Its all in the calibration of the machine. I would check out richrap.com who has devoloped he own varient of the Rostock. His prints are very detailed. The only difference is in the movement of the machine. Deltas are much faster.

Downloads
    Uploads
    one huge difference is wobble from your leadscrew which you won't get with the delta printers. I know you can get very precision ball screws to compensate for this but at great cost. In all my printers I have built it seems to be the weakest point of the cartesian design

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree ball screws are a better choice but then you lose speed. So its a give and take type of scenario. I dont think you would notice much difference as most system are open looped so you could get missed steps anyways.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For something with low forces involved like with these printers, I'd opt for a belt drive any day. Cheaper and faster, and for the application it's just as accurate if implemented properly. Leave the leadscrews and ballscrews for the lathes and mills
    Deltas are sexy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am converting an extended custom built taz to use spectra line for my z.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information