Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

Large prints vs small prints involving gluing/fastening pieces together

I have been going back and forth between making a 3D printer, which seems to be a substantially bigger bang for my buck in addition to being able to have a wildly larger print area (along with, I am assuming, easier troubleshooting), or buying pre-made 3D printer kits that come with much smaller print areas. One hinging detail for myself relates to putting together larger prints from pieces of various size.

My goal has been to make a 3D printer with a print area of at least 2'x2'x2'. This will allow me to print some of my ideas/things with only a small number of pieces that need joining, which sounds great. I often imagine using thread locked bolt/screw fasteners to keep the parts together. Some of the parts that seem to be appealing to me the most right now is extruded aluminum v-slot.

I am a really into longevity, accuracy and higher printing speed. All of these seem attainable in either direction. I do imagine getting something like a flashforge dreamer making it a whole lot easier to attain though.

So what is the scoop on joining pieces together? Which would you go for, making a (larger) 3D printer for larger pieces and less joining or buying a pre-made kit for smaller pieces and more joining?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Larger printers have more problems with warping and other print defects like delamination.
    If you are going to include a heated case then go large.
    If not keep it small. PLA warps less than ABS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by n23d View Post
    Larger printers have more problems with warping and other print defects like delamination.
    If you are going to include a heated case then go large.
    If not keep it small. PLA warps less than ABS.
    Thanks so much for the response, N23d.

I often wonder why anyone -doesn't- have heated cases for their 3D printer. Insulation and a thermostat with a heat source are not complicated or foreign ideas. Sure, my insulation probably isn't going to look sexy, but it'll work. Is there some sort of down side to a heated chamber? I wonder if some components don't like higher temperature that I am unaware of. A lot of big box hardware stores have plenty of fairly rigid pinkish insulation that is very thick. I am sure some of that with some caulk and reflective tape paired with a not so fancy door would be both easy and functional.

I've been considering various options and ideas for a heated print bed. http://reprap.org/wiki/Heated_Bed This has some decent ideas, but I often come back to the idea of a circulation system or a shallow container of thermal transfer fluid (mineral oil for example) with a heat source on the bottom so the heat spreads very evenly. I've found a few pre-made sort of potential pre-made options, but they seem like they might be a little overly costly, maybe not though.

Thread Information