Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

only good for one offs... is this real

I hear that 3d printing is barely sensible for one offs or tiny quantities like five copies of one thing which it does not proportion to giant batches of a whole lot, thousands or tens-of-thousands. they are saying as a result of itís simply too intensive and not enough margins in it. is that this true?

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are great for prototyping or any brainfart you may have. I have a lathe, mill, and shaper 3d printing compliment's them. You will not be putting the squeeze on industry with a 3 grand or less printer!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends on what you want to achieve Chris, but for many products there are production methods which are much more robust, faster, and cheaper.

That said, if you do design of a product and want to feel the thing in your hands before you commission a $100,000+ set of molds to make 100,000s of units, 3d Printing has a lot of value.

Everything, it seems, depends on perspective.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good afternoon chris2009,

Para is 100% correct.

We use 3D Printing for our customers to verify fit, form, function and aesthetics prior to moving on to injection mold design and build. Companies at this level have high expectations of 3D Printed parts. Parts made on desktop/hobby level 3D Printers wouldn't be acceptable for the majority of them.

3D Printing can not compete with injection molding in high volume applications. The time to make 3D Printed parts is too long and the per part cost is just too high.

Have a terrific day!
    Robert
    3D Accuracy
    3D ACCURACY Blog / Website | Direct Digital Manufacturing / Additive Manufacturing / 3D Printing

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are '3D printing' methods that do compete and in some cases, are the only way to make some parts. Once you get into metals there are medical and aerospace application where it would be impossible to make the parts by any subtractive method. A great example is of a knee or hip joint replacement where the end that connects to the bone is a 3D mesh so that the bone will grow into the cavities in the metal making the attachment much stronger.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am ready to join the likes of tom o. I have a lathe and a mill, but want to experiment with additive methods. In many applications of mine I must use metal. But, I do intend to use 3D printing for prototyping and experimentation in any ways I can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just visited Lulzbot during their Open House and their printer farm was very impressive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think of it less as a mass production machine, and more of a household appliance. It's something akin to the worlds most versatile hammer, and suddenly everything starts looking like a nail.
    Deltas are sexy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by l98FIERO View Post
    ...A great example is of a knee or hip joint replacement where the end that connects to the bone is a 3D mesh so that the bone will grow into the cavities in the metal making the attachment much stronger.
    I98Fiero, all my past (casual) research had that done by Sintering or Hot Isostatic Pressing; good to know someone figured out a way to do it 3D; I'll have to look into that.

Last medical use I saw (for 3D printing) was printing tissues and ultimately organs, which is exciting in its own right.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say the opposite.
    It is predominately good for one offs or a small run.

You design it, then print it. Of course, some other methods may be better, depending on the complexity of the object and your skill, and it is not suitable for some applications, but it is fairly good to at least test things.

Thread Information