Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

interlocking pieces

I want to make some prototypes of a 3-D tile stacking game. Attached is an image of a game in progress. (blue image)

The board has holes in it, which could be described as three regular hexagons merged together. The tiles consist of two layers. The main layer, which is the only layer you see in the image, is six hexagons. The layer beneath is the peg layer and is the same shape as the holes. This layer is half as thick as the main layer. The peg can fit into the holes on the board and also holes formed by three mutually adjacent tiles on the same layer.

In the image, all tiles above the board level are supported by three tiles beneath. I want to make the tiles and the board precisely enough that a tile supported by only two tiles beneath will be stable. The center of gravity of such a tile would be resting right on the edge of support from below. Only friction between the vertical walls of the peg portion and the vertical walls of the tiles beneath will keep the overhanging tile from pivoting and falling off,

Of course, the tiles must be easy to place and remove. I made a design for Shapeweys, and the price came out at more than a dollar per tile. I would doubtless need to experiment on a particular printer until I find a suitable design. I don't have a printer yet.

I also include a sheet, to be included in the game box, which shows ways to assemble the 10 board sections.

Any advice or other feedback is welcome. Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Twixt_Fanatic; 05-07-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are links to the full size images.
    Lazo game in progress
    Five board arrangements

Thread Information