Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

Filament problems

Hi all
    Im new to 3d printing and have printed some cool stuff with the roll of filament that came with the printer. When I had a different roll with the same specs the prints com out with blotches and half way through it appears that the filament is getting restricted. I have place the original roll back in its perfect prints. The filament is the same specs PLA 1.75mm

Any suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The first suspect that comes to my mind is atmospheric moisture absorption by the filament. If you have a vacuum chamber or know someone that does I would place the entire spool in the chamber under full vacuum for 24 to 48 hours. Also, I would place desiccant in the vacuum chamber to absorb the released water vapor.

If you don't have a vacuum chamber you could try to bake the spool in the oven below the plastication temperature but be aware most ovens don't have accurate temperature control, so do this at your own risk.

A vacuum chamber is an easy DIY project and handy if you do much 3D printing.

This is where I would start anyway.

All the best

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork View Post
    The first suspect that comes to my mind is atmospheric moisture absorption by the filament. If you have a vacuum chamber or know someone that does I would place the entire spool in the chamber under full vacuum for 24 to 48 hours. Also, I would place desiccant in the vacuum chamber to absorb the released water vapor.

If you don't have a vacuum chamber you could try to bake the spool in the oven below the plastication temperature but be aware most ovens don't have accurate temperature control, so do this at your own risk.

A vacuum chamber is an easy DIY project and handy if you do much 3D printing.

This is where I would start anyway.

All the best
    I'm having the same issue so cheers for that vacuum chamber link. I guess I'm going to make one since I'm planning to do a lot of 3D printing in the future.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork View Post
    below the plastication temperature but be aware most ovens don't have accurate temperature control, so do this at your own risk.
    To look it up you'd need to know that it's called the Glass Transition Temperature, Plastication is a word based on the US tradition of "Verbing Nouns" when the correct word, phrase or grammar eludes them

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by pas View Post
    Hi all
    Im new to 3d printing and have printed some cool stuff with the roll of filament that came with the printer. When I had a different roll with the same specs the prints com out with blotches and half way through it appears that the filament is getting restricted. I have place the original roll back in its perfect prints. The filament is the same specs PLA 1.75mm

Any suggestions?
    Maybe this roll of pla has absorbed moisture, you could dry this roll and have a trial again.
    For different color, the viscosity is not the same. The appearance will be differ among same setting.

Thread Information