Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

How long have you been interested in 3d printing

I'm just curious how long have you been interested in 3d printing. I would love to hear as much answers as possible my ears are wide open.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I first learned of it in the late 80's when I saw my first stereo-lithographic printed open vane impeller. I was hooked. I hovered around the 3d scene for years waiting on the technology to become hobbyist friendly. Now I have access to it I'm running wildly ahead of my ability to grasp certain areas of this wonderful thing. As a retired Master Pattern Maker, rapid prototyping is taking over and very soon it will have gone into new areas not thought of in present day technologies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I first heard about it in the late 90s. Looked like there were some seriously cool applications, so I've paid attention since, finally have a workshop and some real workspace. As soon as the basement renovations are done I'm going to look seriously into which machine will best meet my needs and get one!

I already have a list of things I'd like to work on creating, mostly molds for other materials I want to work with, but some direct use parts too!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been interested since i first found out of its existence, probably in 98 or 99. A few years after i started learning to model in 3d wayyyyy back on a program called Nendo. I didn't really start following it heavily until around 2k5, and i started professionally prototyping about 4.5 or 5 years ago now and have been doing it ever since.
    Since then I've tried to stay fairly well educated on the technology as it is, but i spend so much time on the modeling aspect of it that its hard to keep up with the hardware that's out there, beyond making sure i am fully versed in the strengths and weaknesses on a machine that a project will be printed on. I.E. What surface will print with the best quality, what surface will have the lowest quality, does the machine use filler material or stick supports, so forth and so on .

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to design paper towel dispensers, and we tried some SLA stuff in the 80's. It was very fragile material back then and would shrink a lot. It reminded me of noodles. We often had prototype parts CNC machined from engineering plastics to check form and function.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Real interest, almost exactly two years. Started building my Prusa in March 2012. I had some interest a bit before that.
    Lee

Downloads
    Uploads
    about three weeks ago thanks to this site... i am in research mode atm,looking into delta printers.cerberus looking really good to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been looking for about a year. I think I've decided on the RoBo3D to start with. Seems like a decent machine. Thanks for this site btw!
    http://carterchristmaslights.com/

https://www.facebook.com/CarterChristmasLights

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been fascinated sense I first worked for a company that bought into the technology in the 80's. I followed the industry and the hobbyist movement over the years. And then suddenly, it seems, the hobby machines gained momentum and rapidly the hobby machine quality shot up and prices dropped which allowed me to buy an excellent sub $1000 machine last fall.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In terms of theory, since Star Trek introduced the ultimate 3D printer, the replicator!
    In terms of technology cheap enough for a hobbyist, a bit over a year ago.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information