PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Is a filtration system needed for 3D printers?

Nick
11-25-2014, 01:20 AM
I'm trying to figure out if the project we are currently working is an actually need you as the consumer would buy. We all know that awful smell left behind by melting plastic. Is that great enough cause to invest in a filtration system? I have put together a poll to see what your thoughts may be.

teoterrence
10-01-2015, 12:01 AM
3D Printers operating in enclosed spaces, like homes and offices, produce fumes, and concentrations of Ultrafine Particles (UFPs). These emissions can cause runny noses, irritate the throat, lungs, and head, and create long-term health problems. 3DPrintClean filtration systems enable 3D printing in PLA, ABS, HIPS and other media, without external ventilation. ​​In addition to the health benefits, enclosed printing environments reduce warping, curling, cracking and noise.

ShuttleSpace
10-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Whenever possible, just vent it to the outside.
If its a big space with a drop ceiling, maybe consider venting up into that space, in many cases, the space above is the return air for the office space, so it gets filtered. Just check for return air grilles, which are usually eggcrate tiles, and don't vent near one.

Clutch57
10-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Mine is a personal printer and it is enclosed, but on long prints 4+ hours it can be too much even for my garage. This weekend I am installing a vent system slowly pulling the air out of the cabinet to the outside. It is not a filter but it solves the problem.

Davo
10-07-2015, 07:03 AM
It depends on your material. When I print with porcelain or sugru, I don't have any fume concerns. When I print with PEEK or PPS, I prefer venting to filtration.

JustSomeHuman
01-08-2016, 04:36 PM
The only time I use outside ventilation is when I am printing ABS.

3DPFadmin
01-09-2016, 01:33 AM
I use no ventilation when using ABS, what are the hazards?

ShuttleSpace
01-09-2016, 08:38 AM
http://catalog.seelyeinc-orl.com/Asset/MSDS-Sheet-for-ABS.pdf

Medical Restrictions: There are no known human health effects aggravated by exposure to this
product. However, certain sensitive individuals with respiratory impairments may be affected by
exposure to components in the processing fumes.
Note: Additives containing certain heavy metal compounds may be present. These ingredients are
essentially bound in the plastic matrix and are unlikely to contribute to workplace exposure under
recommended processing conditions.

discountcenter
03-01-2016, 11:43 PM
Filtration systems enable 3D printing in PLA, ABS, HIPS and other media, without external ventilation.

-------------------------------
https://discountcopiercenter.com/