Close
Login to Your Account
    MONA TILES COMPOUND, NR. CHHANI CIRCLE, CHHANI ROAD, VADODARA - 390002. GUJARAT, INDIA.
    Downloads
    Uploads

At what stage of jewelry manufacturing is 3D printing used?

This is an excellent question. The answer to this is going to be pretty long. So kindly bear with me.

The thing you have to know about conventional jewelry manufacturing is most often, the jewelry is made by using a process called investment casting or lost-wax casting. Recommend reading this article for a background: Investment casting

Once you have read that, I am sure you would have understood that there are several properties you need from the pattern you will make a mold from. Ideally you would want a material with the following qualities :

You need to have a good surface finish of the jewelry so that it shines better and is aesthetically more pleasing. Therefore it is of paramount importance that your pattern has a good surface finish.
    You need to use a substance which burns off quickly without much residue.
    It is durable in variable conditions of temperature. You don't want your pattern to be made of a material which distorts easily.
    Should be easy to transport.

The material which most often meets these requirements is wax. Although, it sometimes has issues on the 3rd parameter.

The usual manufacturing process (I am not sure if the OP knows how the jewelry manufacturing process works, but for the ones who might now know, here is how it goes. Bold indicates the stage in the manufacturing process): 3d printing prototyping service anand gujarat
    1. Design of the part in a CAD/CAM software.
    2. Prototyping by use of a CNC machine to cut a block of wax in the shape desired from the CAD file.
    3. Urethane casting [Optional only if multiple copies are needed] : Making urethane molds to make multiple wax model copies.
    4. Casting: Setting up of a "Christmas tree" where these models are attached to a runner and then dipped in a ceramic slurry.
    5. Pouring of the liquid metal into the runner. The metal burns and evaporates the wax and solidifies in the desired shape.
    6. Surface Finish: Minor finishing required.
    thanks.
    visit: http://vexmatech.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Vexmatech wrote:

"The usual manufacturing process (I am not sure if the OP knows how the jewelry manufacturing process works, but for the ones who might now know, here is how it goes. Bold indicates the stage in the manufacturing process): 3d printing prototyping service anand gujarat
    1. Design of the part in a CAD/CAM software.
    2. Prototyping by use of a CNC machine to cut a block of wax in the shape desired from the CAD file.
    3. Urethane casting [Optional only if multiple copies are needed] : Making urethane molds to make multiple wax model copies.
    4. Casting: Setting up of a "Christmas tree" where these models are attached to a runner and then dipped in a ceramic slurry.
    5. Pouring of the liquid metal into the runner. The metal burns and evaporates the wax and solidifies in the desired shape.
    6. Surface Finish: Minor finishing required."[/QUOTE]

This sounds more like the process for casting industrial parts than for making jewelry. If you are trying to describe the typical jewelry-making process, you've got it right, up until step 3. Most jewelers don't use urethane, they use latex molds, which are vulcanized for permanence and are a lot more flexible. They don't use ceramic slurry or a dip process; they put a metal flask around the "tree" and fill it with a plaster-silica mixture. They never expect the metal to burn and evaporate the wax - that only works with foam masters. The molds are baked in a kiln to eliminate the wax. If you did it your way, a lot more than minor finishing would be required.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is some basic step to design 3d jewelry. I think, the first steps to designing the part through computer software, then prepare for making it an object through 3d Printing. I had visited Binashree 3D Printing service provider in Bangalore and I am really satisfied with their service.

Thread Information