Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can a 3D scanner capture minute detail of a watch case? Can 3D printer render it ?

Hello

I have some designs in mind for both a ring and a watch. I own a ring and watch that are similar to what I have in mind. My though is to have the existing objects 3D scanned. For the watch, it would only be the case, I would use the existing band and mechanism and glass on the new 3D printed case. Once scanned, I will draw up my changes and have a 3D designer make the changes to the 3D model, then send them out to be 3D printed in sliver.

That is my idea, but I have no idea how realistic it is. Can a typical 3D scanner capture the minute details of a watch case and can the 3d silver printer render it precisely enough to ensure that the mechanism and glass will fit properly?? Does 3D printed silver have the smooth shiny finish desirable for a ring or watch? Would this be extremely expensive?
    I worked with Sculpteo once and the price was reasonable but that project did not involve scanning existing objects, did not require precision and it was not printed in metal.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's theoretically possible, but realistically, this sounds like a reverse-engineering project. With a scanner, you can capture enough of the original part to use it as a basis for recovering the original design intent and construct a CAD file with enough precision to create parts that will fit together. This is not automatic by any means; it takes some fairly sophisticated software and someone skilled in its use.

The 3D printing process is similar; there are some (mostly experimental) 3D printers that can print to very high tolerances, but for the most part, tolerances will be fairly low on economically feasible machines. When Scupteo offers a part in silver, that means they've printed it in wax or some kind of resin and used the lost-wax process to produce the metal part. If it's shiny, that means it's been polished after printing. There are always some artifacts from the process, and a shrinkage factor to consider. There are a few companies in Europe that offer direct printing in metals, usually titanium, with a high degree of detail. The output I've seen had a matte finish, but it could be improved with polishing. And yes, it was pretty expensive.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started building a 3D desktop scanner that uses Raspberry Pi cameras
    Here is some detail about it
    http://www.gizmo3dprinters.com.au/#!3d-scanner/c45v

If you go to the links on the page you will be able to see the 3D scans. The knife in the scan is probably a good indication of the detail you can see. You can see there are supposed to be teeth on the knife, but you can't see the teeth. I am waiting for lenses for the cameras in the hopes to reduce the scanner size. At the moment it is about 500mm diameter, I am hoping to reduce the size to 300mm diameter. This was done with a free account at 123D catch and 5 mega pixel cameras. You will probably be able to get better detail with a paid account at Recap360. I didn't create an account yet, will probably to see what is possible

This was one of my first scans using my machine, not great
    https://recap360.autodesk.com/viewer...a5b6d25ad05c89
    http://www.gizmo3dprinters.com.au

MONA TILES COMPOUND, NR. CHHANI CIRCLE, CHHANI ROAD, VADODARA - 390002. GUJARAT, INDIA.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    High quality scans made easy. 3d printing service india
    A moving HD camera head with dual lasers and a rotating platform makes scanning three-dimensional objects easy, fast and accurate. After a one-time set up, simply place an object on the scanner, click a button to scan and watch it go.
    Vexma Technologies pvt ltd provides a one stop shop for product development and design to mass manufacturing solutions. With endless possibilities in 3d printing services, we provide solutions that benefits Doctors, Engineers, Architects and enthusiast.
    thanks.
    visit: http://vexmatech.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi! The only way to revive those models is to redesign and reverse-engineer them through 3d scanning. You can read more about its process here. Hope this helps!
    Bobby Lin
    Director
    Mylocal3DPrinting.com
    [email protected]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to add to the already sound answer by Andrew, projector based scanning using structured light can be very accurate as long as you can focus the images at the range you are scanning (you can pick up minute details).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, it can be done with reverse engineering process through 3d scanning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is nothing hard in this task, if you give it a try and spend enough effort and time. Yea, it is similar to reverse engineering processes. When you get 3d scan, it will be too rough and full of anomalies, so you will need to make a smooth CAD model that can be easily modified and manufactured. I'm using this software at my work, but you can try a Rhino for example or similar software. After you make CAD model then you can print it or do whatever you want

Downloads
    Uploads
    A 3D scan is the digital representation of the object or person you are 3D scanning. During the 3D scanning process, you are capturing the shape of an item (object, face, or body of a person) using a 3D scanning application on your tablet or mobile phone, or even a proper 3D scanning device. The sensors of the individual device collect data related to the shape, the depth, and the color of the item you are 3D scanning and they form the final 3D file. After the 3D scan is converted into a 3D file, you can edit the result with a 3D modeling application. This gives you the possibility to modify and use your 3D scan as an avatar in VR (Virtual Reality) games or even to 3D print it. That’s how the object passes from the physical form to the digital one.

Products Designer Magento 2 Extension | Custom Web To Print Tool - SetuBridge

Web to print Magento its an important tool for any product designing

Thread Information