Close
Login to Your Account
    Downloads
    Uploads

Technical Feature Discussion

Let's talk about the machines at the technical level. Why are some features the way they are? What are the trade-offs? Alternatives?

Have at it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Regular glass will work fine. No need for Borosilicate.
    The reason we decided to go with BoroSil is because it has a very low thermal expansion coefficient, so it won't expand as much as regular glass when hot. We knew that we'll need a heated plate eventually, so we designed this part in from the start.

Also, the vendor promised us a very-very flat glass plate, and has been true to his word - it's pretty good. No sag, no bumps, no waves, no ripples.

Finally, I was told that BoroSil is more hardy than regular glass (but not as tough as tempered glass), so we think it will be less prone to shatter. I don't know enough about this, I'm going on the recommendations of another engineer.

I thought it was worth the extra $$$.

Can you please share your experience with BoroSil vs. regular glass?

Ben

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have used tempered, borosilicate and regular glass. I would agree the tempered and borosilicate are both stronger but they are more expensive. The regular glass does feel delicate and I treat it as such. However I have had no problems besides a small chip on an unfinished edge. 1 small crack has started to form in a corner. All edges were unpolished, raw cut glass. There is a difference being a tinkerer and having to make something for public consumption. Lawyers. They can ruin most peoples good day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have used tempered, borosilicate and regular glass. I would agree the tempered and borosilicate are both stronger but they are more expensive. The regular glass does feel delicate and I treat it as such. However I have had no problems besides a small chip on an unfinished edge. 1 small crack has started to form in a corner. All edges were unpolished, raw cut glass. There is a difference being a tinkerer and having to make something for public consumption. Lawyers. They can ruin most peoples good day.
    Great info, Fastest1, thanks for sharing.
    Very much agree on the last point, even though my Grandpa was a lawyer :-)
    Last edited by brt; 01-17-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    Ben Reytblat
    Founder, http://3DMonstr.com
    Because size DOES matter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are the chip and crack separate?
    Is either from a drop or are both suspected to be due to normal use?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The chip and crack are both separate and were caused from dropping the glass. I do believe both could have been avoided by more cautious handling. Polishing the edges or at least using emery paper on them would have helped too. I think I paid less than 1 dollar for each piece.

Thread Information