Close
Login to Your Account
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Beginners guide for buying 3d printer

Before you zero down on a type or a model of 3D printer, it is best to know which machine will suit your requirement and match it with various options of additive technologies available. While considering a 3D printer one may ask questions like:

Which 3D printing technology suits best for your application?
    What is the raw material / running cost of the machine?
    What is the maintenance / AMC cost?
    How fast I can get service / spares?
    Whatís the print speed and Accuracy of the machine that you are selecting?

For all your such questions I have developed comprehensive 3D printer buyerís guide that will help you select right printer for your application.

More on 3d printer:Beginners guide

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would've also added the question about the build volume required for most of the prints

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Khas View Post
    I would've also added the question about the build volume required for most of the prints
    You can't expect detail in a thinly veiled advert for the products on the linked site, Ads and links make up a good proportion of the posts on this site, at least what there is of this one is OK, there are some advertisers posting obviously inaccurate information, especially on investment casting ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a relative, but rapidly progressing newbie, I started not that long ago with an XYZprinting Da Vinci Mini at less than £300. It actually works very well producing good prints of some quite spectacularly weird objects. I then decided to upgrade to the printer of the month/year flavour, and that is the Creality CR-10. I have yet to fire that machine up but am VERY impressed by the build quality (all metal) and it can be bought in the UK (but from China, of course) for under £500, although I got saddled with a £28 duty charge from DHL which rather annoyed me.

To my considerable surprise my Da Vinci works great using the supplied application software for printing, and I amusing TinkerCAD for design, which is a web based app that is brilliant, and pretty easy to use.

I am also using Simplify3D, which provides lot of settings and great slicing. Well worth the $150 it cost me for a full licence IMHO.
    Last edited by chopperaddict; 09-28-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    _---- Ian Turner ----_
    3D printing "newbie" but learning very fast
    Printers - Da Vinci Mini and now CR 10
    Software of choice - Simplify3D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi how about the software itself? i think we need to consider about the software right? because some of them are closed, not anybody can put their design on the machine and print it straight forward.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My own "six pennorth" is that I think the software question can open a real can of worms ? There are so many different flavours of designers, slicers etc out there, some free, some cost some money, most of them seem to do a pretty reasonable job, at least for the home 3D printer. I like Tinkercad for quick design, but for more complex stuff, it has to be 123 Design. The more exotic packages are great, but pretty hard to come to terms with and diffcult to learn how to use them.

I think most newbies will want to at least start with something that does not have a long lead in time and steep learning curve to get going. Once they have printed the examples provided with their chosen machine, they want to move on and design and print something all their own, but they donot want it to take a month to learn the design package before they can do so.
    _---- Ian Turner ----_
    3D printing "newbie" but learning very fast
    Printers - Da Vinci Mini and now CR 10
    Software of choice - Simplify3D

Thread Information